More than 30,000 students apply to Oxford and Cambridge every year. The admissions process can be daunting with an average of five students competing for each place. These elite universities seek the best qualified applicants from every background.
Admissions decisions are based on students’ academic results and predicted grades, but also on performance at interview, admission test results, submitted written work, commitment, personal statement and teachers’ references.
Students wishing to apply to Oxbridge at Chelsea Independent College can expect the following:
- Specialist and regular help from their personal tutor (an Oxbridge graduate), their subject tutors and the Head of Sixth Form on choosing the university, course and college that best suits their ambitions and capabilities
- Guidance from their subject tutors with suitable further reading, and careful monitoring to ensure that they are completing all additional work
- Advice from academic staff on ‘super-curricular’ activities to ensure their application is as competitive as possible
- Specialist interview training with tutors who have both been through the Oxbridge interview process themselves, and who have sat on Oxbridge interview panels
- Guidance with entrance tests where necessary, and help from tutors who are specialist in their chosen areas
- Extra help with personal statement writing from graduates who have been through the process
- References written by tutors experienced in the Oxbridge process
In addition, students can expect a visit from an Oxford and Cambridge admissions tutor to give specialist advice. They get the opportunity to meet academics and current undergraduates at information days and open days. The head of sixth form and other academic staff are available throughout the year for one-to-one consultations on all aspects of their application.
All students who wish to apply are considered and given an honest appraisal of their chances of success. However, it is important to appreciate that the Oxbridge application process is fiercely competitive. Those identified as having the potential to succeed at this highest academic level are closely mentored to maximise their chances of success. All staff involved in this programme are experts on Oxbridge preparation and are highly qualified subject specialists and support students every step of the way.